Friday, June 11, 2010

Friends Matter

When I was younger I often heard older folks reminding us about carefully choosing our friends. I remember the olden saying "Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are." My cool teacher had a good rendition of that saying she said in one of our Technical Writing classes, "Tell me who your friends are, and I'll say HELLO!"

Whatever culture you may be in right now, nothing beats what the Bible says about friendship. One of the most amazing verses that I have hidden in my heart is Proverbs 17:17. It says "A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity." New American Standard Bible. I like how The Message translate this verse, "Friends love through all kinds of weather,and families stick together in all kinds of trouble. "


Friendship is another world where we can be just ourselves or be the other self that we've been hiding for some reason. But God doesn't design friendship to be a place of pressure or torment. Being friends with others should be like one of the best place you can ever be. Like a family that loves and takes care of each other. Who doesn't want to be loved? We are people and it's normal for us to look for love. To look for a place we think we belong. A place we can really be ourselves. No holds barred. Just being carefree.


A friend is more than a noun. Being a good friend, a friend that God sees in each everyone of us, can help us be the best person that God designs us to be. The dictionary may have the definition of the word friend, but the Bible perfectly identify what kind of friend we should be with our friends. Open the living book called Bible and learn tons of amazing lessons in life that no other self-help books can ever have.


I hope you learn something here! God bless! :)



1 comment:

  1. reading this blog and my other old blog.. I thank god for the transformation! lol

    ReplyDelete